Employer Body entry Motor Trade Association of South Australia (1986 - )
- Employer (Peak Body)
- Reference No
On the 2nd March 1926, a meeting was held at the office of Mr G.H. Boykett in Brookman Building under the chairmanship of Mr Frank Hazel. It was the preliminary or inaugural meeting of what was to become the South Australian Automobile Chamber of Commerce. The association was known initially, however, as the Garage Proprietors and Petrol Retailers Association of South Australia. Within three years, the association had become large enough to require the services of a board of management and as time passed, widening of membership categories to fully cover the motor trade.
By 1960 the organisation had registered under the federal industrial arbitration & conciliation legislation as the SA Automobile Chamber of Commerce Incorporated. A year later it would reregister as the South Australian Automobile Chamber of Commerce Incorporated [SAACC].
In 1986, the SAACC changed its name to the Motor Trade Association of South Australia, and substantial promotion of the new name and logo was successfully undertaken on behalf of all the 1,400 member businesses.
1960 - 1961 SA Automobile Chamber of Commerce Incorporated
1961 - 1986 South Australian Automobile Chamber of Commerce Incorporated
1986 - Motor Trade Association of South Australia
- Chart 37: Employer Associations - Manufacturing, Distribution and Services - Vehicles
Bruce A. Smith
Created: 20 April 2001, Last modified: 6 August 2010