Government Agency entry Apprenticeship Commission of Victoria (1928 - 1975)
- Regulatory Body
Under the Apprenticeship Act 1927, the Apprenticeship Commission of Victoria was appointed in 1928. It consisted of five members, two representatives of employers and two of employees, with an independent chairman with definite powers to administer the Act. The Commission was assisted by expert trade or advisory committees appointed for any trade or group of allied trades declared to be ‘skilled trades’ under the Act. The Commission had full control as to the number of apprentices in apprenticeship trades, and made provision so that they were properly indentured, registered, and taught their trades.
In 1975 the Apprenticeship Commission was abolished and the Industrial Training Commission was established to be responsible for the direction and implementation of training schemes for skilled trades.
1928 - 1975 Apprenticeship Commission of Victoria
1975 - Industrial Training Commission of Victoria
Ross G. Elford
Created: 3 January 2002, Last modified: 12 December 2002